Youtube, Snapchat, Facetime, Skype, Zoom, Instagram stories – it’s clear that video is transforming the way we express ourselves and communicate with friends and colleagues.
Video is now routine and has started taking hold in the job application process as well. Why? Because you’re hiring a real person. Soft skills, such as communication and character are a lot harder to gauge via CV, even for experienced recruiters and hiring managers.
Fiona Watson Recruitment, along with our amazing database JobAdder now have video cover letter capability. What better way to sell yourself and get that foot in the door to your next career move?
How to create an effective cover letter?
Think of your video cover letter as a “movie trailer”, and your career as a movie. Make it exciting, memorable and give just enough information to really interest the recruiter or hiring manager.
Here are some tips to help you create an effective video cover letter:
- Keep it short, video cover letters shouldn’t’ exceed 60 seconds.
- Start with a quick intro of your name and the position you’re applying for.
- Show your personality (while keeping things professional) – try to emulate how you would speak to someone in person.
- Be mindful of your filming environment – relatively quiet spaces with good lighting help to convey the right message (whilst a dark room can convey the opposite!).
- List a few key reasons for why you’re interested in the role/company.
- Highlight your top skills, background and education relevant to the role.
- Finish strong by thanking the recruiter or hiring manager for taking the time to review your application.
All of our job adverts on the FWR website, SEEK, Indeed and JobRapido will now be video cover letter enabled. We look forward to ‘seeing’ you soon!